Alight Motion is a versatile mobile application that offers different features for users. Masking is one of its features that helps you hide or reveal any parts of a layer. If you have ever wondered how to mask on Alight Motion, then you have come to the right place. Our step-by-step instructions will help you learn how to mask on Alight Motion. So get ready to take your video editing skills to the next level!
How to Apply Mask in Alight Motion?
To learn how to create a mask by using layers, follow these simple steps. In this guide, we will use a video layer with a single character. We will mask the character to change the background of it.
- Open the Alight Motion application.
- Create a new project or open an existing one.
- Drag a video or image onto which you want to apply a layer mask.
- For example, I have imported a video with a single character.
- Now, I want to apply a mask on a single character.
- Click on the + button and select Vector Drawing.
- Using the vector drawing tool, start making a selection of the character.
- In the Blending & Opacity tool, decrease the opacity to see if the selection is good.
- Once you make a selection, increase the opacity to 100% and go to the Effect panel.
- In the Effect panel, search for Feather and apply it.
- Now, change the settings like Strength and Iterations to adjust the mask.
- After that, import another image or video layer for the character’s background and keep it under the main layer.
- Now, select all the layers and merge them using the Layer settings on the upper side
Congratulations! You have successfully applied the layer mask and got the best output.
Difference between Layer Mask and Clipping Mask?
A clipping mask is a feature that allows you to create relationships between two or more layers, where the content of one layer is used to define the visibility of another layer. To apply a clipping mask, a user must have two or more layers in the timeline.
To find the clipping mask option in Alight Motion, tap on any layer and click on the three dots in the upper-right corner. A new window will open, and you will see the Create clipping mask button. Click on it to apply a clipping mask.
On the other hand, a mask or layer mask is a type of grayscale image that is associated with a layer. The mask defines the transparency of the layer, allowing you to selectively reveal or hide any portion of the layer based on the mask. You can apply a layer mask on a single layer.
Once you have a layer in the timeline, you can start making a mask by making a selection of a defined portion of the image using a vector drawing tool. Once the selection is complete, you have applied the mask to the portion. Now, you can use different settings and effects to make it more refined.
Masking is a great technique in video editing that is used to hide or reveal any part of a layer. It allows content creators to precisely control which area of the layer should be visible. By applying masks, content creators can create a wide range of visual effects, such as:
- Isolating objects
- Changing backgrounds
- Creating custom transitions
- Applying filters to specific areas
- Blending different elements
So, if you want to learn about masks, make sure to check out the guide and ask any questions you have.
James William, a talented video editor who brings visuals to life with his creative expertise. With a passion for storytelling and a keen eye for detail, James has been honing his editing skills for years. James’s proficiency extends to a wide range of editing software, enabling him to bring his artistic vision to reality with precision and finesse.